Building a Custom Seat or Bench
Custom Shower Seats and Benches made from wedi® Building Panels
wedi offers prefabricated seats and benches, which can be quickly integrated into a shower system installation. However, if a custom size is required for the seat or bench, you can also use our 2-inch thick wedi® Building Panel to safely build one on site. Possible designs include suspended wall-mounted corner seats, and benches that rest on the shower floor.
wedi® Building Panels allow you to build a seat or bench in a fraction of the time it takes to conventionally frame out a support, cover it with plywood and backer board, and then waterproof it. With wedi® Building Panel all this is combined in one product that is shaped, installed, and ready for tile. This process also allows the tile setter to build the seat or bench to fit the exact final dimensions that are ideal for the individual tile layout and design.
wedi® Shower Benches, whether prefabricated out of the box or built onsite, are made to withstand the weight of tile and users. Based on the model and design, the load capability before tiling ranges between 250 and 500 lbs:
- On-site custom wall-mounted corner seats: 250 lbs.
- Prefabricated wall-mounted corner seats: 350 lbs
- Seats and benches resting on the floor/attached to shower walls: 500+ lbs
Custom Bench Fabrication and Installation Videos
Installation Manual and Requirements/Limitations
Product Approvals & Certification
Approvals and certificates applicable to entire Fundo Shower System incl. wedi Building Panel:
City of New York, MEA 912-52-SM
Fundo Shower Systems & Building Panels: ICC PMG 1189 (for USA & Canada) – Download Here
Meets all applicable ANSI/ISO Standards incl. ANSI 118.10 and IAPMO PS106
TCNA handbook recognized for wall, floor, countertop, & more applications
City of Los Angeles Approval M-100017
BBA (British Board of Agrement)
DIN EN ISO 9001
Diverse State Approvals
SAI Global Watermark Certified (Australia & New Zealand)
Codemark Certified (Australia & New Zealand)
Technical Performance Data
To determine the size and quantity of wedi Building Panels you will need for your shower, please follow the steps outlined below:
- Calculate the total area of the shower wall
- Multiply L x H of the wall. The height of each wall will be determined based on how high you plan to install the tile
- Add the calculated square footage of each wall together to determine the combined sum of all the shower walls
- Multiply the combined area of all shower walls by 1.15 to account for about 15% extra square feet of building panel for any waste cuts
- Divide the total area of the shower walls by the square foot area of the wedi building panels you plan to us4 (e.g. 4×5 ft. building panel = 20 square feet)
- A total shower wall area of 115 square feet divided by 20 square feet per building panel gives us a total of 5.75 building panels.
- Remember to always round up to the next whole building panel.
For product retail pricing, please see our Illustrated Retail Price List (USA or CA), available in the downloads section below.