Floor Building Panels
Whether for new construction or a renovation, a great variety of subfloor types need a tile underlayment prior to setting tile or stone. Some reasons for the need to install tile underlayments include: they may reduce stresses from subfloors and protect tile, they may be used to build up height as needed to finish the tile surface flush with adjacent flooring surface, and they may be necessary for waterproofing or insulation purposes. They should also provide and support successful and lasting adhesion performance for thinset mortar and tile.
wedi Building Panels offer a durable underlayment surface once tiled and pass the Robinson Floor Test (ASTM C627) with a “heavy duty use“ rating. In combination with its ideal flat surface, it is a logical choice when installing small tile or very large tile, extremely thin tile on floors. Both require perfect thinset mortar coverage and adhesion, made easy when working on a most flat and even surfaces, and the full support of a strong underlayment like the wedi Building Panel.
However, it is important to evaluate the suitability of a subfloor structure, or the layer below a tile underlayment, to ensure a proper tile installation and the choice of a good underlayment fitting the application.
wedi building panels are:
- Used in wet rooms, or where floor warming systems are used
- Ready for tiling upon installation
- 100% waterproof due to their extruded polystyrene (closed-cell) foam core
- Easy and clean to cut to size using a utility knife, circular saw, or handsaw
- Available in sizes and thicknesses that can accommodate different projects and applications
Building Panel Video
Installation Manual, Requirements/Limitations and Warranty
Product Approvals & Certification
Approvals and certificates applicable to entire Fundo Shower System incl. wedi Building Panel:
City of New York, MEA 912-52-SM
Fundo Shower Systems & Building Panels: ICC PMG 1189 (for USA & Canada) – Download Here
Meets all applicable ANSI/ISO Standards incl. ANSI 118.10 and IAPMO PS106
TCNA handbook recognized for wall, floor, countertop, & more applications
City of Los Angeles Approval M-100017
BBA (British Board of Agrement)
DIN EN ISO 9001
Diverse State Approvals
SAI Global Watermark Certified (Australia & New Zealand)
Codemark Certified (Australia & New Zealand)
Technical Performance Data
To determine the size and quantity of wedi Building Panels you will need for your shower, please follow the steps outlined below:
- Calculate the total area of the shower wall
- Multiply L x H of the wall. The height of each wall will be determined based on how high you plan to install the tile
- Add the calculated square footage of each wall together to determine the combined sum of all the shower walls
- Multiply the combined area of all shower walls by 1.15 to account for about 15% extra square feet of building panel for any waste cuts
- Divide the total area of the shower walls by the square foot area of the wedi building panels you plan to us4 (e.g. 4×5 ft. building panel = 20 square feet)
- A total shower wall area of 115 square feet divided by 20 square feet per building panel gives us a total of 5.75 building panels.
- Remember to always round up to the next whole building panel.
For product retail pricing, please see our Illustrated Retail Price List (USA or CA), available in the downloads section below.